Sunday, August 17, 2014

Dual Sport Motorcycling Navigation

My dual sport motorcycling lesson for the day: You can turn your smart phone into a super sophisticated navigation device that does not need a cell signal or internet connection to work, plus you can stream your route in real time, change course on the fly, save pics and make notes on points of interest, and many other features. You can make a turn-by-turn route on your computer, then upload it to your phone, and vice versa, or share routes with other people. You can also run the phone off the bike's battery so that you don't have to worry about it running out of juice. Oh, and some of the newer phones are waterproof so you can use them in the rain or if you go through water such as a creek crossing. Expensive, clunky, dedicated GPS devices (like Garmin) are done.

I'm getting my new smart phone this week, and I'll start playing around with the different apps that let you do all of the above. I'll also install the USB charger and phone mount on my bike. Once I get into all of that a bit, I'll report back with pics and details!

No comments:

Post a Comment